History of the airport
In the pre-war period, a radio beacon and a landing site were built on the Moscow-Prague line near the town of Vinnitsa near the village of Strigik. In January 1941, two stations of the P-2 planes arrived there permanently. On the basis of the radio beacon, the first airport in Vinnitsa region was created. The head of the airport was Vasylenko Andriy Timofeevich.
In July 1941, in connection with the beginning of the Patriotic War, the personnel of the airport and the P-2 planes in the Kiev special air group of the TsPF were involved in serving the needs of the front. After the liberation of the territory of the Vinnytsia region from the fascist procurators in April 1944 near the same village of Strigik, landed five planes of the Po-2 Kiev aviation branch. So, the airport in Vinnytsia has restored its work.
In April 1945, an aircraft was set up on the basis of the airline, with the commander of the airport became Peter Voropaiv. In the fate of 1945, the airport from Strizikyka moved to the military airfield 3 km east of the city of Vinnytsia.
From the airport there were flights to the district centers, where there were airfields. Delivered passengers, mail, individual shipments. In 1952, 2000 passengers and 160 tons of mail and cargo were sent from the airport.
In 1954, 266 airplanes were converted into 94 combined aircraft departures. From it in 1955, in addition to the airline and airport in Zhytomyr, there was also an aviation squadron and an airport in Rivne. The military airfield combined with the Vinnitsa airport had limited air access from the city and was limited by way to the city of Nemirov and the river. For the construction of a runway for the operation of airplanes from the GTS, it was necessary to find a new plot.
In the old airport in 1952-1962 there were already built an airport terminal for 100 passengers, hotel, ATB, garage, office space, warehouse and other facilities.
The commission on the selection of the construction site of the new airport has plotted a plot near the village of Gavryshivka, 8 km east of the city of Vinnytsia. Construction of the runway was entrusted to the builders of Ladyzhinskaya HPP.
In 1976, the construction of a 2220-meter runway was completed, and the city of Vinnitsa was able to receive Il-18 aircraft. In those years, in parallel with the construction of a runway were built: passenger pavilion, command-dispatching station and other facilities. At the end of the seventies, the runway was extended to 2,500 meters, making it possible to take Tu-154 aircraft.
The final stage of the development of the new airport of Gavryshivka was the construction and commissioning in 1985 of an air terminal complex designed to service 400 passengers per hour.
The deciding role in the construction of the new airport of Gavryshivka was deputy chief, and later the director of the airport Kolarzh Vitaly Alekseevich and his subordinates to the chiefs and engineers of the airport services. The first deputy chairman of the Vinnytsya Regional Executive Committee Tunik gave great help.
In the 80’s, Vinnytsia was connected directly with Moscow, Kiev, Minsk, Riga, Donetsk, Lugansk, Chernivtsi, Zaporizhzhya and other cities.
In those years, the airport served 350-400 thousand passengers a year, from the airport were sent 5-6 thousand tons of cargo and up to 1000 tons of mail.
In 1993, the airport was allocated to an independent legal entity. From that year to 2002, the airport was headed by Kolar VO.
At the end of 2001, the airport was transferred from the state property (Ministry of Transport of Ukraine) to the ownership of the territorial communities of the Vinnytsia region (Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine dated July 26, 2001, No. 297-p).
For the period from 2001 to 2008, the directors of the airport were: Marchuk V.I., and Gumenchuk V.L.
On October 28, 2008, by order of the VOR №165 dated October 24, 2008, the director of the VKPP “Airport Vinnitsa” appointed Mazurtsya Ya.L.
In 2013, the airport was transferred to the balance of the Vinnytsia City Council.
Today, the airport continues to evolve. The number of passengers and flights is steadily increasing.