Generous land and favorable climate have caused the inhabitants of the territory of the present city from ancient times. The establishment of the Chronicle of Vinnytsia since 1363 relates to the attempt of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania to assert its dominance in Podillia after the defeat of the Tatar-Mongols.
The history of the city is inseparable from the history of the Ukrainian people, which throughout the life fought for the right to be the owner of their land. It was not easy for our ancestors to live during internecine wars in the Lithuanian Principality, 30 of the devastating attacks of the Tatars were experienced by Vinnytsia from 1400 to 1569. But under these difficult conditions the city developed as an economic and cultural center. The earliest mention of the Vinnichan, a student at Krakow University, has been known since 1469, and the first artisan – since 1508. In 1545, there were 273 houses in Vinnitsa, and in seven years – 429. With the construction of a new fortress on Kemp’s island in 1558, a new city emerged on the right bank of the Southern Bug and continued to develop the “Old Town” on the left.
According to the Lublin Union, Vinnytsia was part of Poland and since 1598 it was the center of the Bratslav Voivodship. Its tangible role in the economic life of the region is evidenced by the privileges of duty-free trade in the entire territory of the Polish-Lithuanian state granted in 1580, 1593 and 1634, and the establishment of the Magdeburg Law in 1640.
Important processes in those years proceeded in the spiritual life of its inhabitants. Catholics in 1617 and 1624 completed the construction of two monasteries, in 1642 opened the Jesuit collegium. Among the Orthodox believers, the popularity of the Vinnytsia Brotherhood Kuzma and Demyan, which since the last quarter of the sixteenth century kept the Ukrainian fraternal school, grew. Thanks to the efforts of the well-known figure in the culture of Petro Mohyla and the bratslavsky blessing of Mikhail Kropivnytsky in 1632, an Orthodox collegium was opened.
The decisive event of this century in the history of the city was the defeat of the Polish army in March 1651 by the Cossack regiments under the leadership of the famous Ivan Bohun. In 1643 and 1653 Bogdan Khmelnytsky visited Vinnytsia.
After the accession of the Right-Bank Ukraine to Russia and the formation of the Podolsk province in 1797, the city became the center of the Vinnytsia district, and in the beginning of 1798 it introduced the “City State”, and throughout Russia it was introduced only after 1801. From these times, the gradual growth of the city was noticeable, and in 1860 there were already 10 thousand inhabitants, 5 schools, a hospital, and 190 shops. Worked the theater.
An important stimulus for the further development of the city was the construction of the Kyiv-Balta Railway and the opening of the Kozyatin-Zdolbuniv railway connection, thus opening up the possibilities of direct contacts with Kiev, Odessa, Moscow, St. Petersburg and Poland. In the last 40 years of the XIX century Vinnitsa has grown almost three and a half times. She belonged to the first place in the Podilsky province in terms of trade turnover.
The city changed considerably in the early 20th century. In 1911, the first stage of the water supply was constructed, electric lighting was installed. In 1912 Tram connection of Zamoosty with the city center was opened, the construction of a superphosphate plant was completed.
Since 1914, Vinnitsa has become the administrative center of Podilsk province.
The violent events took place in the city during 1917-1918. The authorities held revolutionary committees of workers ‘and soldiers’ deputies, protesters of the Austro-Hungarian troops, the Denikin army. Meanwhile, in the hotel “Savoy” in the center of the city was temporarily the government of the Ukrainian People’s Republic.
In 1923, the city became the center of the district, and from 1932 to the present time it became the administrative center of the Vinnytsia region.
The city suffered irreparable losses during the repressions of the communist regime. The most devastating damage was caused to him by the German invaders, who installed a special regime in Vinnitsa in connection with the placement of the “Werwolf” stakes. During the war of 1941-1945, the number of inhabitants from 100 thousand decreased to 27 thousand, of the 50 industrial enterprises only 10 survived, 1880 houses were completely destroyed. The heroic efforts of the Vinnytsia and the envoys of other regions of the country at the end of 1948 almost completely rebuilt the city’s industry, and in the years to come, the electronic, radio, and metalworking industries and other branches of power were developed in the regional center.
In 1972, the city formed three districts.
The scientist, surgeon, founder of field surgery, founder of the Russian Red Cross, the author of the 4-volume edition of Topographic Anatomy, MI, has been linked to Vinnytsya for over 20 years. Pirogov, who at one time saved Giuseppe Garibaldi from the gangrene of the famous Italian. Museum-manor Pirogov MI with the necropolis church, are always of great interest to the guests and locals.
Vinnytsia citizens are proud of the fact that the Ukrainian Academic Theater named after him has started a creative way in our city. I. Franko, discovered the immortal beauty of the Ukrainian song glorious MD Leontovich Under the patronage of UNESCO, the local museum of local lore keeps the largest collection of Podolsk icons. Municipal choir and dancing collective “Barvinok” are well-known for their performing skills far beyond Ukraine.
The literary-memorial museum of the “Great Solstice”, the classic of Ukrainian literature by MM Kotsiubynskyy, is being widely used by local residents and guests, around which creative young people are gathering together and growing. Many historical buildings are being restored and new religious buildings are being built.
The Vinnytsia citizens remember the city of Yatsyka Palagenko, executed by the Polish gentry for defending the city’s independence, the Haidamachian leader Griva, the peasant philosopher Semen Oliynychuk, the famous artist Nathan Altman, the connoisseur of Podillya Joseph-Anthony Rollet, the historian of the city of Vinnytsia Valentin Otamanovsky, the writer Mikhail Stelmakh and many others who have written many glorious pages in the history of the city.
With the proclamation of Ukraine of sovereignty, as a result of the awakening of powerful democratic forces, Vinnytsia became the third city in Ukraine, where the blue-and-yellow flag on the main square, with the official consent of the local authorities, became the third largest city in Ukraine. Today, Vinnitsa stretches over 12 kilometers on both picturesque banks of the Southern Bug. It is constantly growing, becoming more tidy, gaining European rice.
In the new economic, social and other current conditions, Vinnytsia continues to develop gradually as an industrial and administrative center of the region, organically linked with other regions of the state.